What’s been holding you back from losing weight? Take a moment to step back and think if you see a pattern that you’ve allowed yourself to continue to follow. What kinds of comments have you made to yourself in the past that have caused you to hold back? Even worse, what self-doubt have you believed? You are not alone in these thoughts. We have all been guilty of this at one point or another. The problem is the negative comments you say to yourself. These will keep you from being successful and feeling your best both mentally and physically. It’s true that the mindset and comments we tell ourselves echoes out into our auras, and everyone around us can sense this. They say negativity is contagious. Hmm.
You wait for the right time to start
You keep telling yourself that the time isn’t right to start. The specifics of whatever it is that you’re trying to start doesn’t matter. However, the constant excuse you give yourself makes you feel better about giving up before you’ve even begun. If you keep waiting until tomorrow, next week, next month, next YEAR… It will never happen. The truth is, life never slows down, it just presents opportunities in different angles. It’s your decision to choose whether you want to succeed, and when the time is right. The answer? There is no better time for losing weight than right now!
You expect results to be instantaneous
Just because you’ve consciously made a change in your mind doesn’t mean results will be instant. In some cases, we’ve created a lifelong series of habits and thoughts that aren’t just going to magically disappear in one day, one month, or in some cases even years. Losing weight takes time and it takes even more time to keep it off. A habit is formed after 21 days. Start here. Reevaluate. Then make another small goal.
You compare yourself to other people
Picture this: You’re on the treadmill at the gym next to a seasoned runner. You either try with all your might to keep the same pace or slump down and give up without trying. What’s happening here? You feel inadequate and feel like you’ll never be like them. The truth is, you weren’t there when they stumbled and made the mistakes that led them to that place. Focus on how great you’ll feel when YOU accomplish your OWN goals.
You create excuses for yourself
This goes hand in hand with waiting for the “right” time to start. You tell yourself that today you’ll treat yourself, you’ll start your diet tomorrow after you’ve prepared yourself mentally. This is 100% an excuse that you’re giving yourself. You tell yourself, “This last meal is OK because tomorrow I’ll be on my diet.”
This is just one example of excuses we give ourselves. They come in many forms.
You’re not alone with these thoughts and we want to help you overcome them. It takes time but learning how to recognize excuses and overcome them is paramount. When it comes to losing weight, you may be your biggest obstacle, holding yourself back from being successful. At Med-Fit, we don’t want you to just lose weight, we want you to walk out of here a renewed person ready to take on life. Show yourself how successful you can be!
How to overcome the obstacles to achieving goals – including losing weight
The “biggest losers” at our clinic excel at one very specific fundamental: SMART goals. SMART goals (an acronym for 5 steps in goal setting) was developed as an effective tool to help individuals achieve their weight loss goals on a consistent basis. If you want tips on how to motivate yourself, this is it. Get a pen and paper, and let’s do this.
- S – Specific. This is the most important step. Being vague about what you want leads you to nowhere. Outline as much detail about the results you would like to achieve.
- M – Measurable. Set a goal that you can measure. What gets measured, gets done. It allows you to assess your progress and drive you on a regular basis.
- A – Attainable. Make sure your goal is attainable. You must believe that you can reach your goal. Turn your goal into something that is tangible; what once was a wish, can actually become true.
- R – Realistic. Losing 50 lbs. by “tomorrow” is not realistic. While it is important to have realistic goals, don’t shortcut yourself either. If you set your standard too low, your efforts in losing weight will only meet the bar you set. But if you reach for a goal weight that may initially seem far away, you will adjust your effort level to the higher target you have set. I can help you with this target number when I see you in the office.
- T – Time-based. This is the most commonly forgotten step. Make sure you put a clock onto that goal. Set yourself a deadline. Put yourself on the hook. You will need a little pressure on yourself to perform, otherwise, you will find yourself wandering into procrastination. Nothing will ever get done when you have no deadline.
Be focused. Set SMART goals on a consistent basis. You will find yourself losing weight more consistently, moving you closer to the weight loss goal you have been dreaming of. Call us at (303) 321-0023 to schedule a consultation, or Schedule A Private Consultation to schedule online!!